4.29.2011

Just Yell Louder (and other advice from 4th graders)

Thursday was my last day as a student teacher. It was a bittersweet day as I realized I had made it through a very large part of my education, but also that I am now no longer the "fun college kid that gets to come in and teach fun things".

As part of a thank you from my teacher and the students, all of the kids wrote a goodbye letter to me explaining things they liked about me and what I taught as well as advice for when I get my own classroom (please let that be this year!).

Throughout this school year I have been collecting hilarious quotes from my students, but these letters brought some of the best. This post is dedicated to my lovely fourth graders.

(Note: some spelling and punctuation have been fixed so you could understand what they said)

Dear Mrs. Zufelt,

"you were very nice to me. And it's funny when you roll your eyes."

"What advice I have for you. 1. Discipline kids if being bad. 2. If kids are good reward them. 3. Make sure to call parents if really bad. 4. Don't call parents if really good. 5 Give them a break."

The next two are from a student who apparently thinks yelling is the best way to handle students:
"Just for some pointers if they are yelling and screaming yell at them and say 'Stop or you will have detention'!!! One more thing before I make a new paragraph, tell them about us"

"If they yell at you yell at them. But don't push it too far, okay, try"

"I hope you have a huge classroom, lots of supplies, and a wonderful class just like us (good luck with that)"

This next bit of advice came from a "good" kid:
"Now, if you ever have bad kids in your class here's how to deal with it. Let the good kids do something fun when the bad kids do assignments"

"If you keep this note I know you will be the best teacher ever"

"When you become a teacher you have to do a art class using clay. I don't know why but kids like to play with clay"

"I still think it's really sad that you have to leave. But also good because your finishing college. But also sad because you'll be gone."

"I have some advice for you! I can give advice because you know I've been in school for five years."

"P.S. Kids can smell fear. Do not get scared like some teachers do. They get inside their heads and the teachers start to yell at them and lose their cool. Just do not get scared"

I'm not sure if that was advice or a warning

Finally, one of my students was very hard to reach. Throughout my time at this school I only saw him smile once (it broke my heart). I was sure that he probably did not even care that I was teaching him, but after I read his letter I realized that I was completely wrong about him.

"I will remember you for a long time. You will just be a good teacher so much. I can't change anything about you"

If this doesn't make you want to be a teacher, I don't know what could.


3 comments:

  1. awww.... I work with kids a lot, and treasure thing like that. What a blessing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. These are priceless!! What great treasures to keep with you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. that last little guy gave me teary eyes :)

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...